Amish Lifestyle


Written by Michelle ~ A Normal Amish Girl

My weeks fly by so quickly and I hear most everyone say that same thing. People will ask me, “So, what did you do today?” I pause for a moment and usually end up saying, “Uuummm….I don’t know.” Here’s a peek into the past week of my life. I tried to keep track of some of the activities we did throughout the day but I must warn you: I’m not very good at journalism. This isn’t a minute-by-minute blow of what I’ve done every day but it hopefully gives you a glance at life. You will maybe come to the conclusion that I’m not that different from you!


Monday, June 12

Caption please?

Up at 5:30 to pack lunch for Dad. I didn’t have to work today so I helped clean the house. Monday is cleaning day here and we try to do everything except the upstairs bedrooms. Mary did laundry and we had ironing. We are currently picking strawberries and asparagus in the garden so there’s always that to check on a Monday.

Nothing says summer like fresh strawberries!

I have also been working on getting a cow registered which is much easier to do when they are young. The picture to the right is the cow I’m trying to register. This picture was too funny to not share. Anyone have a great caption??


Tuesday, June 13

Up at 5:30 to pack lunch again. I usually do this every morning so I’m not going to include it from here on out. I clean a house today for a couple that live in town. It usually takes just a few hours. They drive out to pick me up and take me to their house. I have worked for them for a good long while now. Not sure of exact years???

Today was also POOL PARTY day for some of my nieces and nephews. My sister and her children got here around 8 and I think they were in the pool by 8:30! They just play and play in there and of course you have to get out a few times to get various things that are not in the pool. When I got home at noon, they were still in there! But they had just finished eating lunch and went back in right before I got home. I joined them for a few hours and boy did that feel good! I always feel a tick guilty though because I know Dad is working and here I am playing in the pool. They all had to get out around 1:30 so we headed under the shade tree and had snacks. They were so tired! My sister said that her one son fell asleep after they got home and they tried to wake him up for supper but they couldn’t get him up. He slept all evening and into the next morning!

My brother brought us a load of hay that his neighbor sold to Dad. We put that in the barn which didn’t take that long. We are always thankful for the help from our family! We are also thankful for hay for the winter months. Hopefully, the cattle eat it!


Wednesday, June 14


Wednesday is my day to take care of my Spice Shack. I did laundry and ironing first. We like to wash sheets on Wednesdays so the laundry pile was a bit larger than normal. I had a lot of desk work that piled up. It’s so easy for me to ignore paper work and computer business!

We have spearmint in the garden that I like to pick and dry. We sell it in our shop. I have a customer that has been here a couple times and bought everything I had so I’m trying to dry as much as I can.

Around 3:30 I had to bike into Grabill to work for a few hours. Of course, I forgot my keys to lock up so I couldn’t leave as early as I thought. HUMBUG. I had to wait until the owner came with her set of keys to lock up. Lesson learned. When I got home, Mary and I tried to find where the pool was leaking. OPERATION FIND THE LEAK : NOT SUCCESSFUL.

Thursday, June 15

I had work today at a new shop in Grabill. It’s called My Heart and Home so if you are ever in the area be sure to stop in!  (The link will take you to their facebook page.) You can find these cute 18″ Amish dolls there. My sister sews the outfits for them.

It was around 7:30 when I get home so I ate supper and didn’t do too much. I try to make it a rule to not do any business stuff after 8PM. It doesn’t always happen but I try. I like to use that time to read. Sometimes someone will make popcorn which is a favorite snack of mine. Well…all snacks seem to be my favorite but I am quite partial to popcorn.


Friday, June 16

I took care of The Spice Shack again. Mary rode her bike down to my other sister’s house to help her get ready for company they were planning on having the next night. We mowed the yards and did laundry again. Friday evening for supper Mary started the fire pit and we ate outside. One of my favorite things to do even though I don’t do it often. We had bratwurst with the fixins and s’mores of course.


Saturday, June 17

This was an off day because I didn’t have much planned to do. Mary sewed a dress and I watched the store. We picked strawberries again which we usually do about every other day. We always try to pick on Saturdays because we don’t pick on Sundays. Dad, Mom, Mary and I had some things we needed in town so we hired a ride and went to Pizza Hut and did some shopping. I don’t seem to get to stores much anymore so when I go I look around a lot. Everyone was waiting for me to get out of the store for a while but I actually got almost everything on my list! This rarely happens because of my forgetfulness OR I take my list but don’t actually look at it OR I get sidetracked by all the glitter and gold and stray from what’s actually on the list.


Sunday, June 18

We were home because we didn’t have church scheduled. Our church meets in each other’s homes and it is only planned for every other week. We usually try to have a Bible study with just the four of us or we sometimes visit local churches on these types of Sundays. In the evening we went to my sister’s house for supper. One of my brothers and his family came to so we played volleyball and had snacks later. It was a beautiful night for a buggy ride home!


We had meatloaf one night for supper and I actually remembered to take a photo! I’m usually not that funny about food but meatloaf is one thing I don’t eat anywhere else but at home. Here is Mom’s recipe:

3 lbs. ground beef

1 package of Lipton’s Mushroom and Onion Dry Soup Mix

4 eggs

1 cup tomato juice

chopped onion, optional

Mix together well and form into a loaf in 9×13 pan. Bake between 350 and 375 degrees. Drain the loaf if needed. When the meatloaf is almost baked done:

Mix together:

1/2 cup ketchup

2 tbsp. mustard

2-3 tbsp. brown sugar

a little water but don’t make it too runny. Use your judgement.

Pour this over the meatloaf and then put it back in the oven to finish.

This is one of those recipes that Mom just has in her head so I tried to get it down on paper. If you need any other information just send an email.


Todaymichelleinshop0zgq3ltfhn2ytndvhzi1hmtq1lthkyjk4ytziyzi5nq‘s guest author is Michelle Schwartz, the owner of “The Spice Shack” which is a small, home-based business that specializes in bulk spices, medicinal herbs, and loose leaf teas. Check out her online store at Michelle enjoys her family, farm life, anything outdoors, and running her shop. She also raises Miniature Hereford cattle as a hobby. We are honored for the opportunity to work with Michelle! Thank you Michelle!